Sunset Kayak Tour in the San Juan Islands
Offering: Daily from May 1st-September 30th
Cost: $89.00 per person plus tax.
Minimum Age: 12 (with limited space for 8-11 year olds in a triple kayak. Call us before booking. 360-378-4436)
Departure: Times vary by the month. Please call for schedule.
Duration/Distance: 3 hours (kiosk to return). 3 miles. Participants must be in moderate or better physical condition.
Our three-hour sunset kayak tours depart daily in the late afternoon and are the perfect way to end the day! Enjoying the long shadows of the last light of day, we will paddle in uncrowded waters with seals, porpoise, otters, bald eagles and seabirds and watch spectacular alpen-glow colors paint the icy flanks of Mt. Baker! This is a special time to be on the water because no one else is. Griffin Bay is a great vantage point for views of the Olympic Mountains and the setting sun falling behind the fields and forests on San Juan Island!
What You Might See
- Harbor seals
- Dall’s and harbor porpoise
- River otters
- Bald eagles
- And many other migratory and local bird species
What We Supply
- Quality sea kayaks (Seascape II’s by NW Kayaks)
- Werner carbon-fiber paddles
- NRS PFD’s
- Snap Dragon Design spray skirts
- ThermaRest seat cushions
- Complimentary dry bags
- Rain ponchos
- Services of professional, fun and friendly guide
- Detailed instruction at the beach
What You Bring
- One sun hat with wide brim/visor
- Water shoes (Teva -like sandals, Chacos, aqua socks, wetsuit booties, Crocs, old tennis shoes)
- Warm weather tshirts and shorts with a light jacket
- Cool weather clothing: fleece jacket, polypropylene or Capilene tops, rain pants (full day tours only)
- Rain gear: coat with hood or rain poncho. If you don’t have your own, we can supply you with a rain poncho
- One quart or liter bottle full of water per person (we will carry water for refills)
- Snacks to share with group
- Camera and binoculars
- Meet at our kiosk in Friday Harbor (25 Nichols St.) 15 minutes before tour time
- Chart orientation
- Enjoy short shuttle ride to Griffin Bay launch site
- Instruction on beach
- Launch kayaks in Griffin Bay
- Visit Dinner Island, Mulno Cove, Low Pt.
- Return to beach
- Shuttle back to kiosk
- We use only quality, state-of-the-art, fiberglass sea kayaks and gear! No slow, wet and uncomfortable plastic boats or heavy plastic paddles are used on our tours!
- It is just a five minute ride to our launch site!
- Our carbon footprint is the best in the business!
- ThermaRest seat cushions? Check!
- Affordable price!
- Fun, friendly, knowledgeable and experienced guides!
- Complimentary storage for luggage, bicycles and extra stuff!
With notice 7 days or more prior to trip date a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. With less than 7 days before departure entire payment is retained.
Have more questions about your trip?
“Excellent equipment, exclusive destinations, the very best guides. This was our second trip with SJKE, and once again it was spectacular. We are local to the area, and I can’t imagine going with any other company. Always a wonderful experience. Kayaking with the bioluminescence at night was the experience of a lifetime. Thank you!”