Griffin Bay 3-Hour Tour
Offering: Daily from May 1st-September 30th.
Cost: $89.00 per person plus sales tax. Price includes landing fees.
Difficulty: Easy to moderate
Minimum Age: 12 (with limited space for 8-11 year olds in a triple kayak. Call us for availability before booking young children. 360-378-4436).
Departure: 8:30 AM; 1:30 PM; Sunset tour (late afternoon) from kiosk at 25 Nichols Street (next to Cynthias, across from Cafe Demeter).
Duration/Distance: 3 hours; 2-3 miles. Participants must be in moderate or better physical condition.
Perfect family trip. Kids, grandma… Although just one mile south of Friday Harbor, Griffin Bay is a world away from it all! This trip offers peace and quiet and superb views of glacier-covered Mt. Baker and the Olympic Mountain range. Unhindered by strong tidal currents, it is an ideal trip for families and anyone wanting to experience sea kayaking in a uniquely peaceful, beautiful environment. We will explore picturesque Dinner Island and it’s colony of chubby resident harbor seals, then turn south toward quiet coves. You may see bald eagles, Dall’s or Harbor porpoise, river otters, mink and oodles of migratory sea birds such as scoters, harlequin ducks, loons and mergansers along with our local herons, cormorants, gulls and kingfishers! This trip moves at an easy pace and offers a chance to get away from the crowds.
What You Might See
- Harbor seals
- Dall’s and harbor porpoise
- River otters
- Bald eagles
- And many other migratory and local bird species
What We Supply
- Quality sea kayaks (Seascape II’s by NW Kayaks)
- Werner carbon-fiber paddles
- NRS PFD’s
- Snap Dragon Design spray skirts
- ThermaRest seat cushions
- Complimentary dry bags
- Rain ponchos
- Services of professional, fun and friendly guide
- Detailed instruction at the beach
What You Bring
- One sun hat with wide brim/visor
- Water shoes (Teva -like sandals, Chacos, aqua socks, wetsuit booties, Crocs, old tennis shoes)
- Warm weather tshirts and shorts with a light jacket
- Cool weather clothing: fleece jacket, polypropylene or Capilene tops, rain pants (full day tours only)
- Rain gear: coat with hood or rain poncho. If you don’t have your own, we can supply you with a rain poncho
- One quart or liter bottle full of water per person (we will carry water for refills)
- Snacks to share with group
- Camera and binoculars
- Meet at our kiosk in Friday Harbor (25 Nichols St.) 15 minutes before tour time
- Chart orientation
- Enjoy short shuttle ride to Griffin Bay launch site
- Instruction on beach
- Launch kayaks in Griffin Bay
- Visit Dinner Island, Mulno Cove, Low Pt.
- Return to beach
- Shuttle back to kiosk
- We use only quality, state-of-the-art, fiberglass sea kayaks and gear! No slow, wet and uncomfortable plastic boats or heavy plastic paddles are used on our tours!
- It is just a five minute ride to our launch site!
- Our carbon footprint is the best in the business!
- ThermaRest seat cushions? Check!
- Affordable price!
- Fun, friendly, knowledgeable and experienced guides!
- Owners Sally or Tim greet and assist every guest upon arrival at our kiosk!
- Complimentary storage for luggage, bicycles and extra stuff!
With notice 7 days or more prior to trip date a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. With less than 7 days before departure entire payment is retained.
Have more questions about your trip?
“Incredible trip from the beginning till the end. Such a great outfitter. They are extremely knowledgeable and experts in the area. This is crucial in dealing with the tides and overall safety. It is a full service operation with the highest quality equipment provided by any outfitter in the industry. Whether you are going for a day or week, San Juan Kayak Expeditions is amazing!”