Lime Kiln Full-Day Kayak Tour
Offering: Daily from May 1st to September 30th
Cost: $149 per person plus sales tax. Price includes all San Juan County Park launching fees and lunch from a local eatery, Cynthia’s (3 options of sandwich to choose from with chips and fresh-baked cookes).
Difficulty: Easy to moderate
Minimum Age: 14 (With limited space for 10-13 year olds in a triple kayak. Call us before booking. 360-378-4436)
Departure: 10:30 AM from kiosk at 25 Nichols Street (next to Cynthia’s).
Duration/Distance: 6 hrs (kiosk to kiosk); 5 miles. Participants must be in moderate or better physical condition and be able to paddle for sustained periods of time.
Enjoy a scenic drive to San Juan Island’s west side and launch with us into prime killer whale country! We will maximize our time to view wildlife such as bald eagles, river otters, porpoise and harbor seals and, if luck is on our side, orca whales! For a different perspective, we’ll take a short walk on a spectacular coastal trail and, from an elevated viewpoint, enjoy a complimentary lunch with nothing but islands and ocean as far as the eye can see! Diverse wildlife, stunning vistas, and spectacular coastline make this an experience to cherish.
Tour Info and Logistics
What You Might See
- Orca whales
- Humpback whales
- Dall’s and harbor porpoise
- Stellar and California sea lions
- Harbor seals
- River otters
- Bald eagles
- Peregrine falcon
- Many sea bird species
What We Supply
- Quality sea kayaks (Seascape II’s by NW Kayaks)
- Werner carbon-fiber paddles
- NRS or Extrasport PFD’s
- Snap Dragon Design spray skirts
- ThermaRest seat cushions
- Complimentary dry bags
- Rain ponchos
- Delicious and nutritious picnic lunches from Spring Street Deli
- Services of a friendly, experienced guide
- Transportation to launch site and return
- Thorough and professional instruction at the beach
What You Bring
- One sun hat with wide brim/visor
- Water shoes (Teva -like sandals, Chacos, aqua socks, wetsuit booties, Crocs, old tennis shoes)
- Warm weather tshirts and shorts with a light jacket
- Cool weather clothing: fleece jacket, polypropylene or Capilene tops, rain pants (full day tours only)
- Rain gear: coat with hood or rain poncho. If you don’t have your own, we can supply you with a rain poncho
- One quart or liter bottle full of water per person (we will carry water for refills)
- Snacks to share with group
- Camera and binoculars
- Meet at our kiosk in Friday Harbor (25 Nichols St.) at 10:15 AM
- Chart orientation/Depart 10:30 AM
- Enjoy scenic shuttle ride to Smallpox Bay on island’s west side
- Instruction on beach
- Launch kayaks into designated Whale Sanctuary
- Paddle to Limekiln Lighthouse
- Land at Deadman’s Bay for lunch and short hike
- Paddle back to Smallpox Bay
- Enjoy scenic shuttle ride back to kiosk
- Arrive at kiosk at 4:30 PM
We proudly serve choice of Cynthia’s (Cynthia’s Bistro) sandwiches with chips and a freshly baked cookie. Choose between Chicken Curry Wrap, Bacon Lettuce Avocado and Tomato or Fakin Bakin (BLAT with a veggie bacon alternative). Gluten free option available. Just ask.
- We have been leading sea kayak tours since 1980! Our knowledge of tides, winds and whales is unmatched!
- We use only quality, state-of-the-art, fiberglass sea kayaks and gear! No wet, slow and uncomfortable plastic boats or heavy, plastic paddles are used on our tours!
- ThermaRest seat cushions? Check!
- Affordable price includes transportation, all San Juan County Park launching fees and a scrumptious deli-lunch from Spring Street Deli!
- Fun , friendly, knowledgeable and professional guides
With notice 7 days or more prior to trip date a full refund minus a $25 cancellation fee. With less than 7 days before departure entire payment is retained.
Have more questions about your trip?
“We had a great kayaking trip with San Juan Kayak Expeditions. Our group was small and our guide was very knowledgeable and catered to our interests and abilities. Plus their equipment is the best on the island. I highly recommend a trip with San Juan Kayak Expeditions and we will book with them again.”